One of the best things about having moved to Utah this past year is that we now have frequent visits with Cara's family. I'm getting to know Cara's sister Jessica much better, as well as her boyfriend Lee. My girls have also enjoyed spending time with their Utah cousins, especially Adree, Jessica's only daughter.
On Saturday I had the great privilege of baptizing Adree. It was the first time since my mission that I had performed a baptism. It had been so long that I had to break out my "white Bible" to review the words of the ordinance. Luckily, I got the words right and everything turned out OK, or at least that's what the witnesses said. If I screwed anything up, it's on their head now, right?
The baptism was in St. George. Cara's aunt and uncles from her Dad's side were there, as was Cara's mom (obviously) and brother Sterling. Quick note: Sterling looked like the bum from Happy Gilmore (the one who was Adam Sandler's caddy), but we were glad he made it.
Anyway, I am very happy for Adree. She is the sweetest kid. She has a perpetual grin on her face that is utterly infectious. I only wish my girls could spend more time with her so she can have some girl playmates and so some of her cuteness can rub off on them.
I'm excited that she has joined the Church. She's blazing the trail for her family to follow and I'm confident that she made the right choice. It's a big deal to make the commitment that she just made. It really is. It's not an easy thing to do. I've often thought it strange that Heavenly Father allows children, at a very young age, to make such a life-altering decision. Do they really know what they're getting into?, I've asked myself.
I think they do. I think they know enough and have felt enough of the Spirit to have "planted the seed" as Alma put it. And that's all that really needs to have happened at that point. Besides, in God's eyes we're all little children, and we need to strive to retain the trusting and loving nature of youth. This weekend reinforced that for me. It was a testimony-builder for me. It made me want to be more like Adree - to be willing to make commitments to Heavenly Father and to be an example to those around me. I wish her and her family all the best.
Thanks for giving me that opportunity Adree!
Getting Older
3 months ago
.jpg)
Adree says thank you Uncle Nathan! As for Sterling looking like the bum from Happy Gilmore...you hit the nail on the head! lol! We love you Sterling, even though you seem to be quite hairy these days! haha!=0)
ReplyDelete