Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Welcome Breah Spring

My fourth (and final?) child, Breah, was born today at 2:43pm. She weighed in at 7lbs 5oz and was only 19 inches long. I'll have pictures tomorrow. I remembered the camera but forgot the USB cord. Oops.

As I've done with the other three, I was right by Cara's side for this birth. I don't have anything terribly insightful or eloquent to say about the experience other than that it was truly a miracle, just as it was with Ainsley, and then Aftyn, and with baby boy Gavin. Oh, and I was once again reminded why I am so, so, so glad I'm a dude.

A few other observations and musings:

1. For the first time, I got woozy and nearly passed out. No, not during the delivery. That would be so cliche. Instead, I nearly lost consciousness while Cara got her IV right after being admitted. Go figure.

2. Cara is the type of woman that is universally hated by all other woman. Yaknow, the thin type. (again, glad to be a dude) Immediately after delivering the baby one of the nursery nurses about jumped out of her skin when she looked back at Cara. "Oh my word! You're skinny again!", she exclaimed. The other nurses grumbled in agreement.

3. The doctor and nurses take bets on how quickly things will happen after you tell the OB that the last two babies came out within 5 minutes of your water breaking. I overheard them in the hallway set the over/under at 10 minutes. Don't bet against Vegas...Cara delivered Breah at almost exactly 10 minutes.

4. April 6th is a cool day for a birthday! Not only was is the day that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized, but it's also the day the Salt Lake Temple was dedicated, it's Tartan Day (aka wear plaid day). Seriously, look it up.

April 6th is also the traditional date for Christ's birth according to LDS folks (see D&C 20:1) and it was the date that the American League began using the designated hitter. Sweet.

Finally, Breah will share her birthday with Rafael, the renouned Italian painter and architect, and Billy Dee "Lando Calrissian" Williams.
It's definitely better than my birth day. The only noteworthy event that ever happened on November 3rd was the introduction of the US income tax. *uggh* Oh, and I share my birthday with such luminaries as Michel Dukakis, Roseanne Barr, and Dennis Miller. *sigh*

2 comments:

  1. did i read that right? final? hmmm...you two are definitely insane in my book! LOL! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaknow...as long as it's medically possible you can't write it off as impossible.

    ReplyDelete